Reports from the White House reveal that the current administration has settled on the notion that “herd immunity” is the best way to deal with the Covid-19 virus.
Herd immunity theorizes that the more people infected with a contagious disease, the better it is in order to protect the herd; that is, those who contract the viral disease and survive will then be immune thereby protecting the herd.
The herders are willing to accept these losses to the herd: the aged, the most vulnerable to infection because of medical conditions, and the weak who simply cannot measure up to sickness. In effect, the herders are willing to accept the loss of 20 percent of the weakest in the herd in order to protect 80 percent of its strongest.
Herd immunity is a widely discredited medical theory much like the “flat-earth” head-in-the-sand theory.
Below is a list of diseases in the animal kingdom that decimated groups of species and the herd theory with them:
- Ebola – infects mostly chimpanzees and gorillas; killed off as many as 95 percent of those infected.
- Chytrid – infects frogs and salamanders; sent 200 of these amphibians into catastrophic decline and wiped out 30 percent of them altogether.
- West Nile Encephalitis – reduced the American crow population by 45 percent.
- White-Nose Syndrome – killed off 6 million American bats, wiping out 99 percent of one breed.
- Anthrax – in 2004, killed off 90 percent of wild herbivores in Zimbabwe.
- Devil Facial Tumour Disease – a contagious cancer that has wiped out 90 percent of the Tasmanian Devil population in some areas.
- Canine Distemper – decimated black-footed ferrets in Wyoming, African wild dogs and lions in Africa’s Serengeti, and Amur tigers in Eastern Russia.
- Chlamydia – a sexually transmitted disease that has decimated the Australian koala population.
- Sylvatic Plague – has a 90 percent mortality rate among prairie dogs.
Herd immunity did not protect these different animal species from the diseases that decimated their populations, mostly to near extinction.
Covid-19 will be no kinder or gentler to the human species in America or anywhere else in the world.
The “herders” see it differently.
They believe that if there are “only” 2 million deaths out of 20 million infections, the loss is worth the economic demand to keep our society open and fully functional.
The herders, however, do not factor into their herd immunity equation the fact that of the 20 million infected, roughly 10 to 12 million of those who survive the initial viral infection will still have residual or long term medical complications caused by the initial infection, such as: heart/vascular problems, damaged lungs, organ damage/failure, skeletal weakness, muscle weakness, and/or dementia-like memory loss.
These people are known as “long haulers”—those who will suffer months, years, and even life times from the Covid infection. They will not be contributors but rather a drain on society. Their long haul medical conditions will place so many demands on the nation’s healthcare system that it will go bankrupt. Those lucky enough to receive medical care through insurance coverage will not get “presidential treatment” care while those without health insurance will simply die.
The American society had better develop an acceptable relationship with this inevitable reality—our society will never be “normal” as we knew it pre-Covid. There is now the post-Covid normal that will last for generations
The Genie is out of the fucking bottle, and he ain’t going back in there no matter how hard we try to stuff, coax or jam his ass back into it.
The herders can continue to suck up to that “survival of the fitness” wench, Ayn Rand, but the so-called fitness (the herders) will have no barometer by which to measure their fitness. They can only shout in the Covid wilderness, “I’m immune” or some other dumb shit.
The only way to come to terms with the Genie is through an acceptance of science and medicine. A thumb up the ass and a finger in the nose will not save us from this Genie. The best we can hope for is to keep the Genie at bay through science and medicine.
America has always had a considerable market for stupidity and Covid-19 has made it abundantly clear that we now a bumper-crop of stupid to overflow that market.